Creamy Egyptian cheese pasta bake with minced beef covered in bechamel sauce.
serves: 8 | prep time: 20 mins | cook time: 35 mins
- 750 grams minced beef (10 - 15% fat)
- 500 grams pasta
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200 grams grated cheddar
- 200 grams mozzarella
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 0.5 grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tsp dried herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
for the white sauce:
- 75 grams plain flour
- 75 grams butter
- 750 ml full fat milk
- Fry the minced beef in olive oil until brown and caramelized, then add the onions and soften.
- As the beef is frying, make a roux. Fry the butter and flour together for a few mins until the color changed, then add the milk and whisk until it starts to thicken. Then add half of the grated cheddar. Keep whisking until smooth, then add the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Boil the pasta for approx 10 mins or until al-dente.
- When the meat is brown and the onions are starting to soften add the cayenne, paprika, and cumin.
- When the pasta is cooked, add half of the sauce and mix.
- Make the first layer of pasta with sauce in the baking dish, then add the meat as the second layer and add the sliced tomatoes on top of the beef. Finally, add the top layer of pasta on top of the meat, then cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Scatter the rest of the mozzarella and cheddar on top. Bake on 180 c (fan) for approx 30-40 mins, or until the peaks of the cheese turn golden brown (but don’t let all of the mozzarella go brown because we still want some stretch!